Today, I am thrilled to present to you the recipe for Old Fashioned Cabbage Rolls. This classic dish is a testament to the joy of home-cooked meals, offering a perfect blend of flavors and textures that will transport you back to simpler times.
Whether you are an experienced cook or a novice in the kitchen, this recipe is sure to become a staple in your repertoire. So, roll up your sleeves and let’s get started!
Who is this Recipe For?
Old Fashioned Cabbage Rolls are perfect for anyone looking to savor a heartwarming meal that brings back cherished memories. This dish is ideal for families, as it can be prepared in advance and enjoyed together.
If you’re hosting a dinner party, these cabbage rolls make an impressive main course that will leave your guests craving for more. Additionally, if you are a fan of meal prepping, this recipe is a great choice, as the leftovers can be refrigerated or frozen for future enjoyment.
To make Old Fashioned Cabbage Rolls, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 large head of cabbage
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Step 1: Prepare the Cabbage Leaves
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Carefully place the whole cabbage head in the pot and let it cook for about 5 minutes or until the outer leaves become soft and pliable.
- Using tongs, remove the cabbage head from the pot and allow it to cool. Once it is cool enough to handle, gently peel off the softened outer leaves and set them aside. You will need about 12-15 leaves for this recipe.
Step 2: Prepare the Filling
- In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, cooked rice, chopped onion, minced garlic, parsley, dried oregano, dried thyme, salt, and pepper. Mix well until all the ingredients are evenly incorporated.
Step 3: Assemble the Cabbage Rolls
- Take one cabbage leaf and place a small amount of the filling (about 1/4 cup) in the center. Fold the sides of the leaf over the filling and then roll it up tightly, similar to a burrito. Repeat this process with the remaining cabbage leaves and filling.
Step 4: Cook the Cabbage Rolls
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a large oven-safe skillet or baking dish, spread a layer of diced tomatoes and tomato sauce evenly on the bottom.
- Arrange the cabbage rolls seam-side down in the skillet or baking dish.
- Pour the beef broth and olive oil over the cabbage rolls, ensuring they are partially submerged.
- Cover the skillet or baking dish with foil and place it in the preheated oven.
- Bake for approximately 1 hour or until the cabbage rolls are tender and the filling is cooked through.
Recipe Tips and Variations
- Vegetarian Option: For a vegetarian twist, replace the ground beef with cooked lentils or mushrooms. The filling will still be flavorful and satisfying.
- Time-Saving Tip: To save time, you can use pre-cooked rice or even leftover rice from a previous meal. This will help streamline the preparation process without compromising on taste.
- Make-Ahead: These cabbage rolls can be assembled a day in advance and refrigerated. When you’re ready to cook them, simply follow the baking instructions.
- Serving Suggestions: Old Fashioned Cabbage Rolls pair wonderfully with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of fresh dill. Serve them alongside a crisp green salad or steamed vegetables for a complete and well-balanced meal.
Q: Can I freeze the leftovers? A: Absolutely! Once the cabbage rolls have cooled, you can store them in an airtight container and freeze them for up to 3 months. Thaw them in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
Q: How long will the leftovers keep in the refrigerator? A: The leftover cabbage rolls can be refrigerated for 3-4 days. To reheat, place them in a microwave-safe dish and heat on high for 1-2 minutes per roll.
Kitchen Equipment Needed
To prepare Old Fashioned Cabbage Rolls, you will need the following kitchen equipment:
- Large pot
- Large bowl
- Oven-safe skillet or baking dish
Old Fashioned Cabbage Rolls are a timeless classic that brings warmth and comfort to the table. With simple ingredients and easy-to-follow steps, this recipe allows you to create a wholesome and satisfying meal that will please both young and old alike. Don’t forget to share this recipe with your friends and family, and be sure to subscribe to my blog for more delicious recipes delivered straight to your inbox. Happy cooking!
Thank you for reading! Enjoyed this recipe? Follow our blog for more delightful dishes and join our community of food enthusiasts. Don’t forget to share this recipe with your friends and family. Subscribe now to never miss a tasty update!